How to Improve Your Credit Score
Do you find yourself searching “how to boost my credit score” or “tips to increase credit score” while getting ready to request a loan for a big purchase like a new car or a house in Wheeling? Get practical tips on ways to raise credit score from the experts at Jaguar Charleston, and don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!
Tips to Increase Credit Score
- Check Credit Reports: Get a credit report from each of the major credit bureaus–Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion–to ensure that there are no mistakes or inconsistencies across the reports that might have negatively affected your credit score. The Fair Credit Reporting Act entitles you to a free copy of these reports each year–access them at AnnualCreditReport.com.
- Assess Your Debts: Make a list of all your current debts so you can see a total of what you owe. See how much credit you have compared to your debt to determine your debt-to-credit ratio. You should try to maintain your debt at 30% of your credit limit or lower.
- Assess Your Cards: The determine how many credit cards you owe balances on. The higher the number of cards you owe money on, the lower your credit score.
- Create a Payment Plan: Create a plan to reduce your debt with timely payments. Good strategies to improve bad credit include prioritizing debts in collections, eliminating small balances on cards, and chipping away at long term debts or larger debts like student loans which may have high interest rates.
- Open a Credit Card: Have you never had a loan or credit card before? This may be the reason for a low credit score–you haven’t had the opportunity to establish a payment history or demonstrate that you can pay on time. A good way to start building good credit is to pick one recurring monthly charge to pay with your credit card, and to consistently make the due date while staying under the 30% balance and setting money aside to pay it off each month.
- Build a Credit Age: If just opened a line of credit for the first time but need to build good credit history a little faster, you can add to your “credit age” by becoming a user on a family member’s account. As long as they pay their bills on time, their payment history will reflect positively on your credit score.
- Minimize New Credit Applications: If you already have a few credit cards that are accumulating debt, be cautious about more credit card issuers approaching you or sending you offers for new credit cards in the mail. Remember – the more cards open with debt, the more this can negatively affect your score.
Find Out More Ways to Raise Credit Score at Jaguar Charleston
Want to learn more about credit scores in relation to auto loans in Beckley? Reach out to your local authorized Jaguar Finance Center and we can help go over financing options for you. You can also learn about the benefits of buying new vs. buying used when you are looking for your next vehicle!
Explore Our Models
How much can the Jaguar F-PACE tow? With a maximum towing capacity of 5,290 pounds, you can bring a boat, camper, or trailer with you and take more along on Parkersburg roads. Explore the 2019 Jaguar F-PACE towing capacity and features at Jaguar Charleston, then contact your local authorized Jaguar retailer for a test drive to experience all…
The 2019 Jaguar F-PACE color options are both stylish and varied. Choose your favorite materials and color combinations for your luxurious Jaguar F-PACE interior, and turn heads on Parkersburg and Wheeling roads with a choice of twelve exterior paint colors. Learn more about the 2019 F-PACE colors available at Jaguar Charleston, then contact us to see the…
The 2020 Jaguar F-TYPE is now available to Parkersburg drivers, with more four Jaguar F-TYPE trim levels to choose from and a coupe and convertible configuration for each trim. Explore this sports car in more detail at Jaguar Charleston to find out which trim is right for you! View Inventory Contact Us F-TYPE (Coupe – $61,600…